Subject: Re: request...
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:50:03 -0400

Prof Tziperman

I'm sending you the links to the datasets I used for the hw. They are in the
ldeo library in various forms to retrieve. I used the "dods" form to get them
into Matlab. In order to do that you have to download the dods software first
http://www.opendap.org/download/matlab_gui.html . After that you just
copy-paste
into Matlab a link that is in the ldeo Data Files page for each of the
datasets.
For example for the wind stress dataset, the link is

loaddods('http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP/.EMC/.CMB/.Pacific/.monthly/.taux/dods')

(I am probably offering you information that you already know, but anyhow I
thought that I should be specific)

The datasets for the ENSO are

-SST (monthly mean)

NOAA/NCEP/EMC/CMB/GLOBAL/Reynolds and Smith dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP/.EMC/.CMB/.GLOBAL/.Reyn_SmithOIv2/.monthly/.sst/

-SST (anomalies)

NOAA/NCEP/EMC/CMB/GLOBAL/Reynolds and Smith dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP/.EMC/.CMB/.GLOBAL/.Reyn_SmithOIv2/.monthly/.ssta/

-Temperature sections (x,z) for the Pacific

CMA/BCC/GODAS dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.CMA/.BCC/.GODAS/.temp/

-zonal wind stress (monthly mean)

NOAA/NCEP/EMC/CMB/Pacific Hindcast dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP/.EMC/.CMB/.Pacific/.monthly/.taux/

-zonal wind stress (anomalies)

I used ldeo's filters to get the anomalies

For all these datasets I used ldeo's filters and data selection options to
specify the exact data that I wanted and I didn't really use any Matlab code to
manipulate them. I inserted the exact data that I wanted into Matlab and then
just plotted them.

For the THC hw

- Seasonal and interannual variability for the Atlantic and the Pacific

CMA/BCC/GODAS dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.CMA/.BCC/.GODAS/.v/

- T,S (y,z) sections (seasonal)

Levitus94 dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.SEASONAL/.temp/

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.SEASONAL/.sal/

- T,S (y,z) sections (annual)

Levitus94 dataset

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.ANNUAL/.temp/

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.LEVITUS94/.ANNUAL/.sal/

I used some Matlab code to manipulate the data, because several values were
missing (either because of topography or missing data). But the code is
tailored to the exact data that I retrieved. I could for example give you the
data in .m form for example, if this would be more usefull, along with the code
that takes the x,z-averages for example. Let me know if this works better for
you

Nikos